Basics Workshop - Introduction to Sewing and Dance Fabrics
1 Session workshop – 3 hours
Class capacity – Maximum 5 students
(Here at Free Movement, we promise a small student to teacher ratio to ensure each student gets the assistance and attention they need.)
All materials, sewing machines and fabric will be provided.
New to sewing or keen to learn how to sew dance fabrics?
This 3 hour introductory workshop will give participants an opportunity to learn the basics of sewing and specifically managing lightweight fabrics for future dancewear projects.
- How to setup and operate a domestic sewing machine
- Traditional body measurement taking*
- Identifying fabric types and uses
- Understanding fabric grain lines and how to use them
- Hemming and clean-finishing seams
- Different seam types and their applications
- Handling chiffon and ribbon
- Your very own dance shoe bag!
(Participants are welcome to use all suitable fabrics available in the studio.)
This is a pre-requisite class to have a grasp of the basics of dancewear tailoring and fabrics before progressing on to the other workshops.
Classes are held on Saturdays. Please call us to confirm slot availability, and we will inform you when class is happening once there are sufficient attendees.
Please drop us a text at 87547731 to confirm slot availability!
*While the studio’s 3D body measurement scanner will be available for use, participants will still be taught how to use a measuring tape to take measurements.